About to Move
Big news.....I'm about to move, soonish. We just sold our beautiful home (it closed yesterday) and are currently in escrow to buy a bigger house that will need a lot of love. Since that's not a done deal I don't want to share too much about our future home, but either way our old home is sold and we do have to vacate in a few months. Which got me thinking about packing (ah!) and what are the first few things the new place will need to make it feel like home.
Whether you are moving to a freshly refurbished rental apartment or a bigger older house, this basic list of items will get it feeling like your actual home from day 1, as you sort out unpacking and what goes where and what you are missing. Its nice to get them ready in advance of your move and bring them along in your car instead of the moving van.
1) You know I'm crazy for rugs and there will end up being a specific size floor area that will be begging for its unique rug counterpart that fits just right and feels like it was meant for that exact spot all along. I have been salivating over The Citizenry's new yummy Morrocan rug collection.
2) There will be a daunting amount of blank walls. Printing a recent vacation photo in large format and hanging it right away will make your new place feel more personal.
3) The first night in your new place can be weird. Treat yourself to a comfortable deep sleep with Casper pillows.
4) You are NOT bringing the grimey shower liner from your old pad. You are placing a fresh shower liner with a new shower curtain you bought to specifically match the scheme of your new bathroom to make it feel exciting and yours.
5) Introducing a new plant buddy (in a pretty planter) to grow with you in the new digs and make it feel more friendly.
6) Welcoming guests to the new place is better with a cheerful doormat.
Any of these would also make good housewarming gifts for your friends making a move this summer. Wish us luck.